If you’re looking to make, or keep, regular exercise a part of your life, try these 5 tips:
1. Choose activities and environments that make you feel strong, positive and energised – so you look forward to working out and feel fantastic afterwards
2. Allow yourself to be a beginner and be challenged and sometimes maybe feel like you look silly but trust that you will improve day by day – and enjoy the process! Remember that stepping outside your comfort zone is the first step to expanding your horizons
3. Rather than measuring your progress by the shape or weight of your body on a particular day, keep focused on all the awesome things you can do now that you once couldn’t do, and all the awesome things you’ll be able to do soon if you keep practicing.
4. Find fun people to exercise with or make a good playlist for your ipod if you like to work out solo. Try a group class or catch up with a friend over a walk/run/roll rather than a coffee and explore different parts of town.
5. Remember that rest and recovery is part of your exercise program too – if you’re someone that has trouble “switching off”, keep a list of relaxing but engaging things you could do on your recovery days. Exercise is awesome but there’s also plenty more to life, so use your time out to cultivate other hobbies and invest in your relationships. Giving your body enough time to recover between sessions will allow you to become fitter and stronger and prevent burn out – so make the most of it!